10/325 Norco's VS. 10/325 Mallinckrodt

21 replies [Last post]
neilj
neilj's picture
User offline. Last seen 10 years 41 weeks ago. Offline

Is there a difference between 10/325 Norco's & 10/325 Mallinckrodt Brands?I am now taking 10/325 Mallinckrodt for pre-operative pain from a large lesion/cyst in my sphenoid sinus. I have heard a lot about Norco on the boards and was wondering if it was better. Or is it apples & oranges?

Hydrocodone = Hydrocodone?

Jtylerstone
User offline. Last seen 10 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Mallinkrodt

A lot of folks seem to think that mallinkrodt is an inferior product. I , however, have not had a bad time with them. except for the dilaudids, they are bad. I haven't tried thier version of norcos, but thier vicodins are ok. So get ready for the mallinkrodt bashing to commence.

gtrplayer
gtrplayer's picture
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
It's not apples to oranges,

It's not apples to oranges, it's more like Wal*Mart brand milk vs. Kroger (or whatever chain store is around your area) milk.  Hydrocodone is hydrocodone.  Let's not go through the whole "fillers" & "20% variance" again.  My Rx this time was filled with Mallinckrodt, and they are fine.  They work just the same as the Watson brand I had been getting.

neilj
neilj's picture
User offline. Last seen 10 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
It's not apples to oranges

I noticed when I switched from Vicodin ES(Watson) 7.5/750 to 10/325 Mallinckrodt that there wasn’t much of a difference. Am I doing something wrong?

"Don't count the days, make the days count"
Mahammad Ali

MikeTheBike
User offline. Last seen 10 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Funny this came up actually.

Funny this came up actually. One of my friends who was perscribed to the Mallinckrodt said it didnt work but as soon as he got the Watson brand with the same strength, he felt a difference. I would think hydrocodone does equal hydrocodone but like gtrplayer said, it's like comparing kmart milk to kroger milk.

thelifeline
thelifeline's picture
User offline. Last seen 10 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Brand and Generic

I usually ask for the Brand Norco, which is btw made by Watson (I am looking at the mfgr bottle), who usually makes generics.  Watson also makes a generic Norco, maybe from different batches of filler and active ingredient.  They are both OK, but I always ask for the brand when they have it.  I have gotten those white M367 (is that the right #?) Mallinckrodt before and they seemed OK.  They tell us that there is no difference but any fool knows if they charge less then they use cheaper product to make it.  Cheaper product usually leads to a less quality product.  I have had occasions when the generic was better than the Watson brand.  That said, I almost always ask for the Brand Norco.  I only get 100 at a time which is conveniently the amount that comes in the mfgrs bottle.

thelifeline

"Humility, the greatest and least appreciated quality in a man/woman"

King of New York
King of New York's picture
User offline. Last seen 8 years 2 days ago. Offline
And here I was waiting for

And here I was waiting for the bashing.  I used to have the similar opinion as some that mallin products were inferior, but that has changed.  I recently went to their website and it appears they produce most of the active ingredients that go in many other brands.  About the cheaper=crappier product, I can't agree. Pharmacy's consistently buy whatever is cheaper for them to sell as generic.  As all pharmacies don't carry the same generics I can't agree with this generalization.  Acc. to what I read from the FDA generic products must be +-5% active ingredients and I'm with GTP that if we get into fillers we'll have this forum up for another year.  A good example is how people bash mallincrodt's methadone hydrocloride when they supply it to all the other companies that make the generics.  Milk is milk except for that one that lasts like a month-I like that company.

Check with a liscensed MD before you take any suggestions!

thelifeline
thelifeline's picture
User offline. Last seen 10 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
I wasn't bashing Mallincroft

I don't think you were saying that I was bashing them.  I was not, using them from time to time and finding them OK, as I said.  My generalization is often true however, with other mfgrs, using cheaper, inferior products to make what they claim is the same pill.  I have not found it to be true with the 10/325s that I have been prescribed.

I think we are more in agreement than not anyway.  My generalization was really about "everything" not just pills, all products.  What would you rather wipe your tail with Charmin or some cheap generic sandpaper toilet paper......LOL?

thelifeline

"Humility, the greatest and least appreciated quality in a man/woman"

MikeTheBike
User offline. Last seen 10 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Ill take cheap generic

Ill take cheap generic sandpaper toilet paper for 500 alex....jk i dont want to have to walk like a penguin.

tunafizzle
tunafizzle's picture
User offline. Last seen 6 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
I didn't want to get

I didn't want to get involved in another one of these threads but... 

Many opioid patients on these forums and elsewhere will tell you that Mallinkrodt opioids are inferior. For example, they say that 15mg of oxycodone from Mallinkrodt is not the same as 15mg of oxycodone from Ethex or Amide. Obviously they can't be putting in less oxycodone (they would get caught since thats illegal). Some say it comes from the "20% variance" rule that some theorize that the inactive ingredients they put in are what ruin it. However that is absurd since it has nothing to do with the ACTIVE ingredients. Supposedly Mallinkrocdt is one of the only companies that imports opium from India. By law pharma companies that import their opium are required to get 80% of their stock from either Turkey or India. Many companies grow their own opium, so they are obviously exempt from the "80-20 rule". I theorize that the opium grown in India is somehow inferior to the ones grown elsewhere. If anyone wants to start doing some research into the subject to see if my theory checks out then help yourself, I'm not entirely sure as to what all companies import from India, who imports from turkey, and who gets their own. Maybe we'll get to the bottom of this mallinckrodt subject once and for all.

I can dig up sources for the information if anyone needs me to.

-----

Tuna

js57gifts
User offline. Last seen 7 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Hey tuna,that's pretty good-

Hey tuna,that's pretty good- its something different that most people dont' think of- maybe your theory is worthwhile since everyone else always say the same things about the actives and inactives. I know "other" drugs that people use are judged on quality by how or where its grown, why not opium?

I'm a social worker, not a medical professional. All comments and thoughts are simply my opinion and experience.